The Rectory
Rectory Drive
Whiston
Rotherham
S60 4JG
Whiston Parish Church
St Mary Magdalene, Whiston; Rotherham

Church History

Introduction


A Christian presence in the Whiston area was first recorded in the 12th Century. Since then, the church has developed and expanded alongside the parish it serves: as a result, the present building is a mixture of 12th, 13th and 19th century infrastructure.

For the purposes of this analysis, we have segregated the Church's past into four distinct periods of history; otherwise a single aticle may be too big, unwieldy and decidedly heavy-going. Please take the time to read through the following pages in order to learn more about the history of Whiston Parish Church.

Furthermore, most of the reference material for these articles has been taken from just one source: John Griffin's excellent book on the history of Whiston Parish Church, which was published in 1967 after extensive research by Mr Griffin over the course of a decade. Even though it is now fifty years old, much of the historical information it contains is as correct, accurate a relevant as it was when it was first written. The church diagram that features throughout these pages is also an updated and colourised version of one that featured in the book.

Source:
Griffin. J (1967) The Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene Whiston.Rotherham, L.A.Ratcliffe

1902
A photograph dating from 1902 showing the interior in period. Note the position of the organ and the absence of the South Altar.