The Rectory
Rectory Drive
Whiston
Rotherham
S60 4JG
Whiston Parish Church
St Mary Magdalene, Whiston; Rotherham

The Church Institute


 

The Church Institute was first constructed as a multipurpose venue for entertainment and social events in the village as Whiston's population grew from the start of the 20th Century onwards. It was first built in 1913 using money received as a generous gift from Eliza Rowden Hall of Melbourne, Australia. The money was donated in memory of her parents - George and Elizabeth Kirk - who were born in Whiston.

The Institute itself was opened with a grand ceremony, attended by the Mayor of Rotherham, and, for many decades, played host to a plethora of village events such as wedding receptions, gang shows, concerts; dances, New Years Eve celebrations and other social evenings.

However, by the latter half of the 20th Century, after the current Parish Hall was built; and especially after the renovation of the Manorial Barn took place in the mid-1980s; demand for the Institute declined. Eventually, the building was deemed surplus to requirements by the church authorities and it was sold off for £90,000 in 1993. Today is a luxury, detached, private residence enjoying a prominent location within the village.