The Rectory
Rectory Drive
Whiston
Rotherham
S60 4JG
Whiston Parish Church
St Mary Magdalene, Whiston; Rotherham

Church History: Part 2 - 1400 - 1600

In the first part of our look at the history of Whiston Parish Church, we saw how the church was established in the village in the late 12th Century as the foundations that were (literally and figuratively) laid to accomplish this.

By the turn of the 15th century, the church had been serving the village well for 200 years. At some point during this century (the actual date is unverified), the church was extended eastwards to create a comparatively long chancel. Secondly, a north aisle featuring a low, sloping, roof was probably built at approximately the same time. The extent of this work can be seen on the diagram below and suggests that the exterior wall of the building at that time would have run approximately where the north aisle of the church is today.

The next major change came in 1430 when the-then Rector, Rev. Robert Ragenhill died, leaving about 10 old English marks in his will for repairs to the church. As a result, two large south windows were installed. Furthermore, two of the present church bells were hung in the tower, although it is possible that this event happened later in the 15th Century and was not, therefore, a result of the bequest from Rev. Ragenhill. Finally, a third bell was hung in the church in 1636.

This period of history appears to have been one of relative peace and stability for both the church and the village, which might explain why there were comparatively few alterations over the course of two centuries. Next, we move on to examine the period between 1700 and 1900; when the arrival of one of Whiston's longest serving Rectors marks the start of a series of modifications to the building.

Church Diagram
(Click on the image to view a fullscreen version)